ICONICO

Discussion Thread

Iconico.com General Software

Message Thread

Posted in the Iconico.com General Software Forum.

Fingerprint screen saver

What is the viability of you creating a unique instance of `fingerprint' on your server then you create a customized code snippet that I place on all pages of my web site. and if I had a custom version of the Fingerprint screen saver, that maps to that customized code snippet, I could see, in almost real time, where/when folks are clicking on my web site.

Would this be useful do you think?

Further more, could you set a cookie on the visitors machine so the fingerprints were color coded (perhaps a number) to a particular cookie/user, so I could follow click through paths.

Further more cold the finger print image be changed to something else say a small circle or square or a number that is tied to their click path: 1, 2, 3, etc.?

Perhaps this would be a useful idea/tool for website user testing; where in a testing environment users are given a task (find x on the web site or perform task y) then that progress can be remotely viewed on a remote computer. The only thing you would need to do is instead of viewing the results via screen saver, they could open a browser or application window to view the results.

In additon Can you tell me what powers you voting tool and Discussion forum or is it your custom code.

Let me know your thoughts,
Brian

by Brian Keep on Jan 26 2005 9:46am Reply

Fingerprint screen saver

Brian,

Thanks for your comments on the fingerprints - I've actually thought of creating soming similar which would draw lines as users clicked from item to item. I didn't quite realize the application of charting user's progress for testing websites - I just thought it would look cool.

I think this would be a great tool to add to the site and I'll put it on the neverending list of updates.

I've written all the functionality that you see on the site from scratch in .NET. If you're interesting in licencing any code then drop me a line off-list and I'll be happy to help you out.

thanks!
by Nico Westerdale on Jan 26 2005 8:19pm Reply

Our Software Stores

IconicoAccurate Design and Development Software

BitsDuJourDiscount Deal Coupons for Windows and Mac Software Apps

Our Software Services

IcoBlogOur Official Blog

© copyright 2004-2024 Iconico, Inc. Code & Design. All Rights Reserved. Terms & Conditions Privacy Policy Terms of Use Login